How to write FAQs
Frequently asked questions ( FAQs) are used by our operators to provide callers with quick bits of information regarding your products or services. While a well thought out, brief FAQ and response can help callers make an informed decision about your company, questions that require a detailed explanation will not only eat up operator talk time, but may leave your customers more confused after the call than they were before.
Here are a few examples of FAQs that are standard to every call script:
- Website: Lists the website address(es) associated with your account
- Office Phone: Lists the office phone, fax phone, and other relevant numbers
- Business Description: Usually a 1 or 2 sentence description of what you do
- Business Hours: A quick reference of when your office is open and closed
- Business Address: Lists your physical address, billing address, or other addresses your customers may need
- Advanced Questions Response: A standard response when the operators look for an answer that isn't listed in your FAQs. Our operators respond by saying, "That's a great question! Unfortunately I don't have the answer, but I can definitely get you in touch with someone who does. May I take a message and have someone return your call?" This is the default response and can be modified to your needs.
When writing specific FAQs for your business, it is best to create questions that are broad and engender concise responses. For example:
Good FAQ: What car models does your dealership sell?
Simple Response: Honda, Mazda, and Toyota
Good FAQ: What types of payments do you accept?
Simple Response: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover
Good FAQ: Do you sell gift certificates?
Simple Response: Yes, in $20, $50, and $100 denominations.
The FAQs listed below are not bad questions, but given the nature of the question, the responses are likely to be complicated and drawn out. For example:
Complex FAQ: What is the difference between the Sport model SUV and the Luxury model?
Complex Response: The Sport includes fog lights, aluminum wheels, roof rails, heated exterior mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators, a power sunroof, and dual-zone automatic climate control. The Luxury trim level adds leatherette seats, a leather wrapped steering wheel, heated front seats, keyless entry, push-button start, and a back-up camera.
Complex FAQ: What is your return policy?
Complex Response: Most items can be returned within 90 days of receiving the item. Items purchased online may be returned either to a store or by mail; however, there are exceptions depending on the type of product purchased. Items must be returned in the original manufacturer's packaging, so we recommend you keep your packaging for at least the first 90 days after purchase.
While our operators can certainly answer these and other complex questions, please note that this may use up a considerable number of minutes, and these issues may be better answered by speaking with your company directly.
If you would like to add and edit your FAQs directly, log in to your secure web portal and follow these instructions.
When working on your FAQs, if you are unsure of the best way to craft them, feel free to contact our Customer Service department for assistance. We welcome the opportunity to assist you, as this will be better for you, your callers, and the operators in the long run. The less time our operators spend providing overly detailed responses, the more of your calls they can answer!