How to integrate SAS with MailChimp
MailChimp is an email marketing software that offers options for designing, sending and saving templates of your emails, as well as creating newsletters for sharing on social networks. With MailChimp, you can create a list of contacts and easily communicate with your customers using email templates. If your business uses this software, integrating your account with the MailChimp app in the portal will automatically push data from your calls into your contacts list. This eliminates the need for you to do double the work, converting messages into new MailChimp entries.
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to connect MailChimp to your SAS account. In this tutorial, you'll learn how to:
- Connect Your MailChimp with the SAS MailChimp App
- Set Contact Data Parameters
- Map Contact Data
- Integrate MailChimp into Your Script
Connect MailChimp with Your SAS Account
1. In the SAS Desk portal, click Apps from the left side menu. From the Apps screen, click the Configure button under the MailChimp logo.
2. On the next screen, type in your API key, and then click Connect to my account.
Setting Contact Data Parameters
1. Now that MailChimp is connected to the app, click Add MailChimp Integration to begin the setup. This is where you'll set the parameters for how you'd like call data to be sent to MailChimp.
2. First, add an integration Name, and select the Script that you'll be connecting.
3. Then, you'll need to decide whether you'd like the system to Update and Overwrite existing contact data.
If Don't update existing contacts. Create new ones. is chosen, SAS will look for an email match in your MailChimp installation. If there is no match, it will create a new contact. If there is an email match, it will do nothing.
If Update contacts by overwriting any data with details from SAS. is chosen, SAS will look for an email match in your MailChimp installation. If there is a match, it will overwrite any existing customer data with data we've received from the call.
Map Contact Data
Once the configurations are set, you'll need to create the content of the contact we'll be adding to MailChimp. MailChimp's API only allows certain fields to be mapped. If you have questions regarding mapping, please contact MailChimp.
1. Next to Map Data, use the first drop down list to select the name of the MailChimp list where we'll be mapping callers' information.
2. In the second drop down box, select SAS script variable or Text.
SAS will allow you to use specific SAS script variables to populate MailChimp's contact variables. If you select SAS, the third column will allow you to select a script variable.
Text gives you the option to type your own static data rather than using SAS variables. If you select Text, the second third will be a blank box where you can type specific information.
3. In the third column, you'll either select an SAS script variable, or type your text into the box. These drop down values may change depending on what MailChimp variable you select.
4. The last drop down will display the variables within your MailChimp setup.
Note that the system will automatically map First Name, Last Name, and Email, so the MailChimp drop down list will not include those variables.
5. After you've selected a variable, the Map data button will be operational.
Click Map data, and you'll see your field listed next to Mappings.
Integrate MailChimp into Your Script
With all of your integration settings complete, you'll need to add the integration into your SAS script.
1. Click the Save changes button in the lower right corner.
2. A pop-up will open containing the integration link. Right click to copy the link text, or highlight the link with your cursor and press CTRL+C. Then, click OK.
3. To complete the integration, follow the web pop instructions in this article. Keep in mind that you'll want to create the web pop step at the end of the script path and before the closing.
NOTE: Some integrations and access to external websites are restricted to designated operator distribution groups. If you are adding either to your script, please reach out so we can make sure your account is assigned to the proper distribution.