How to integrate SAS with Basecamp
NOTE: We are no longer supporting the Basecamp integration in the current version of SAS Desk. In the next release of SAS Desk coming early 2020, Basecamp will be available as a premium application. However, you may still be able to connect Basecamp with SAS Desk through the Custom Action app. Please consult Basecamp API documentation for more information on how to configure it.
Basecamp is online project management software that allows you to organize projects, track communications, and centralize data so that all of your team members know where things are and what needs to be done. If your business uses this software, integrating your account with the Basecamp app in the portal will automatically push data from your calls into your project lists or message boards. This eliminates the need for you to do double the work, converting messages into Basecamp entries.
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to connect Basecamp to your SAS account. In this tutorial, you'll learn how to:
- Connect Your Basecamp with the SAS Basecamp App
- Adding a Configuration
- Set Contact Data Parameters
- Create Your Basecamp To-Do Entries or Messages
- Configure Custom Mappings (Optional)
- Integrate Basecamp into Your Script
Connect Basecamp with Your SAS Account
1. In the SAS Desk portal, click Apps from the left side menu. From the Apps screen, click the Configure button under Basecamp logo.
2. On the next screen, click Connect to my account.
3. A pop-up will open where you will enter your Basecamp username and password, and then you'll be asked if you want to allow the SAS app to access your account. Click Yes, I'll allow access.
Adding a Configuration
1. Now that Basecamp is connected to the app, click Add configuration to begin the setup.
2. The Basecamp Integration section will be displayed. This is where you'll set the parameters for how you'd like call data to be sent to Basecamp.
3. First, select the Script that you'll be connecting.
Setting Contact Data Parameters
Selecting a Project
Next, use the Project drop down list to select the project name that is associated with the data we'll be collecting.
Now you'll need to tell the system how to manage the caller's details. In the Workflow section, select the aspect of your Basecamp integration where we'll send the caller's data. Subsequent data options may change depending on which of these you select.
Selecting this option will create new To-do List items based on the information that the caller provides.
Support > Create and manage Messages.
Selecting this option will create new messages and post them to the Message Board for the Project you specified.
Create Your Basecamp Entry
Below the Custom mappings heading, you'll create the content of the new entry we'll be pushing to Basecamp.
1. Next to Note, you'll see a list of all of the custom step labels associated with the campaign you selected, in addition to default variables, such as [FirstName], [PhoneNumber], [Email], etc. If you have multiple paths in your script, they will each have a different set of variables. So, you'll need to access the call script builder to determine the step labels in the specific path you are mapping.
Keep in mind that you can build a separate integration for every script path, each with their corresponding step labels.
Click and drag the variables from the left side to the box on the right.
2. After you add the variables that you'd like to appear in the list item or message board entry, be sure to format them by placing each element on a separate line. You can also add headings such as, "Phone Number: [PhoneNumber]."
Basecamp Custom Mappings (Optional)
Once the data section is complete, you can map your call data directly to specific Basecamp fields by adding Custom mappings.
1. To begin, click Add new option.
2. In the first dropdown box, select either SAS or Text.
SAS will allow you to use specific SAS script variables to populate existing Basecamp fields. If you select SAS, the second column will allow you to select a script variable.
Text gives you the option to type your own data rather than using SAS variables. If you select Text, the second column will be a blank box where you can type specific information.
3. After you've completed the second column, you will set the Object, Type and Basecamp Field.
If you've selected the Support - To-dos workflow, the Object dropdown will give you the option for To-do. If you've selected the Support - Messages workflow, the Object dropdown will give you the option for Message.
The Type dropdown will give you the option for Standard. Selecting Standard will bring up the default fields for the Object you selected.
The last dropdown will display the Standard fields within your Basecamp setup.
Integrate Basecamp into Your Script
With all of your integration settings complete, you'll need to add the integration into your SAS script.
1. Click the Save configuration button in the lower right corner.
2. A pop-up will open containing the integration link. Right click to copy the link text, or highlight the link with your cursor and press CTRL+C. Then, click OK.
3. To complete the integration, follow the web pop instructions in this article. For convenience, paste the integration link into Word or Notepad. You'll need this handy to paste into the web pop.
NOTE: Some integrations and access to external websites are restricted to designated operator distribution groups. If you are adding either to your script, please reach out so we can make sure your account is assigned to the proper distribution.