Changing a 24/7 transfer to a business hours transfer
Adding a transfer option to your script is a perfect way to use a Specialty Answering Service agent as your personal virtual receptionist. The Call Script Builder makes modifying a transfer step easy, so that we are only transferring calls during the hours you want to receive them.
This tutorial will describe how to modify any 24/7 transfers you already have built into your script so that we are transferring calls during business hours only. We'll be tackling this build in a few parts:
- Use Profile Information: You'll be editing the transfer step in your existing script and checking the Use Profile Information box.
- Add a Closing: After hours calls will go to a closing step.
- Finding the Path Assignment: Before you can verify the transfer number and transfer hours, you'll need to find out which profile is tied to your Warm Transfer.
- Verifying the Transfer Number: You'll need to make sure we have the right transfer number in your profile.
- Edit Your Business Hours: Set the hours you want us to transfer calls. If calls come in after the hours listed, we'll end the call instead of transferring.
If you don't already have transfers built into your script, please visit our transfer overview page for links on how to add warm and cold transfers.
Please note that in this tutorial, we'll be talking about the various script variables we have in our tutorials on building 24/7 transfers, such as WarmTransferRob. Your script will look different with different variables, but the concepts are the same.
Use Profile Information
You'll need to make sure your transfer step has the Use Profile Information checkbox checked. If you have more than one transfer in the same path, you'll only check Use Profile Information for the first one.
1. Navigate to the Call Script Builder so you can access your answering service script. Click on the Scripts link from the left navigation. Next, click the Details icon next to the script you'd like to edit, and then click Edit your script in the upper right corner.
2. With your call script open, click the + sign next to the name of the path you would like to edit. Then, click on the existing Warm Transfer step. The step details will open on the right.
3. At the bottom of the step details, you'll see the Transfer Number. In order to transfer during business hours, we're going to check the box next to Use profile information for transfers. After checking the box, you'll see the Transfer Number repopulate with all zeros. Don't panic. This just means we'll be getting the transfer number from a different spot.
4. Click Save in the bottom left corner of the Warm Transfer step. If you have a second Warm Transfer programmed into your script, the instructions are a bit different. Instead of checking Use profile information, you'll leave the number hard-coded into the warm transfer step, just as in the example below.
Congratulations! You've set the Warm Transfer steps to pull the transfer number and business hours from the profile they are assigned to. Now you'll need to complete the After Hours closing.
Adding the After Hours Closing
With the Use Profile Information checkboxes all checked, we'll need to make sure that when calls come in after hours, our operators aren't transferring them to you. To do this, we'll need to add a closing step to our After Hours step.
Click on the + sign to expand the After Hours step under WarmTransferRob. You may see a red dot followed by New Step, or you may see an existing step.
If your script says New Step, go to the section labeled New Step below. If you see an existing step, skip down to the section labeled Existing Step.
1. Click on New Step. Then, from the Step drop down menu on the right, select Closing.
2. Click Continue, and you will see the Closing step on the right. You'll need to edit it similarly to the example below:
- Step Label: We're using ClosingAfterHours as our step label since this is how we'll be ending the calls that come in after hours.
- Text: The text in the transfer step typically asks the caller to hold a moment, and also includes instructions for the operators on what to do if they reach voicemail. If you'd like, you can copy and paste this text and coding directly into your script: Okay, [FirstName]. It is after hours and no one is available to take your call, but I'll pass your message along and someone will reach out to you during business hours. Thank you for calling and have a nice day!
- Outcome: Since the call came through our All Other Calls path and it was received after hours, we'll use the outcome All Other Calls - After Hours here.
3. Finally, click Save in the lower left corner and your After Hours step will repopulate showing a green dot followed by ClosingAH.
If you have a second warm transfer, you'll repeat these steps in the second transfer's After Hours step.
Congrats! You've just added your closing. You can skip past the Existing Step instructions below and go right to the Finding the Path Assignment step.
You may already have some script steps in your after hours path. If you do, then use the instructions below to remove those steps and replace it with your new closing.
1. Click on the Warm Transfer step, and you'll see the step details appear on the right. In the bottom left corner, click on the red View Options link.
2. In the Options menu pop-up, you'll see three things: After Hours, Answered and No Answer. In order to replace the existing step under after hours with your new closing, you'll need to click on the Edit link to the far right of the After Hours line. The line will be highlighted in yellow.
3. Click on the Next Step drop down box, and scroll to the top to select the – (dash icon). Then, click Update. The Next Step column under After Hours will now be blank and look like the example below.
4. You've updated the options, but you haven't applied your changes yet. Click the X in the upper right corner of the options menu to close it.
Now back on the main screen click Save in the bottom left corner. Your path will repopulate on the left. Just click on the + sign next to the After Hours step. You should see a red dot followed by New Step. Now you can follow the instructions above for New Step.
Finding the Path Assignment
Once you've added your After Hours closing in the above steps, you'll need to make sure the path is assigned to the correct profile. This is how our system finds out what hours we are transferring calls and when we are telling callers you aren't available. All of this information is housed in the Business Hours section of your Profile.
In the steps below, you'll just be finding out which profile is tied to the call patching path. In the next section, we'll learn how to adjust those hours.
1. Click on the very first step below the script name. In our example, it's labeled CallReason. This will bring up the greeting step on the right.
2. At the bottom of the greeting step, click on View Options to bring up the options menu. In the Options menu pop-up, you'll see all of the paths in your script, and the Assign To column will show you which profile is tied to each path. To update where the path is assigned, follow the tutorial How to Assign a Call Path to a Specific Profile. Then, continue to Verifying the Transfer Number.
Our script was pretty simple so the Profile Assignment was handled right from that first step. If your script is a bit more complicated, you'll want to check the options menu step where we're attempting the transfer. Profile assignments are kind of like a race, the last Profile assigned to a path wins!
Verifying the Transfer Number
You're almost done! Now we'll need to make sure we're transferring calls to the right number.
1. From the left navigation menu in your portal, click on Profiles. Then, click the blue Edit button to the right of the profile you'd like to view.
2. The first section, Profile information, contains the number that the Call Script Builder is going to pull for your Warm Transfer steps. This number should be listed with a 1 + the number, with no spaces or dashes. For example, 12155554738. Update the number if necessary, and then click the yellow Update button at the top.
Edit Your Business Hours
Now you'll need to make sure your business hours are set so that we are only transferring during certain times.
1. Scroll down the Profile page to the Business hours settings section.
2. Set the Time Zone. Then, check the days of the week that your office is open, as well as the days of the week that you are closed for lunch (this is considered After Hours).
3. Use the From and To drop downs to adjust your business and lunch hours under each day of the week. Then, click the yellow Update button next to Business hours settings.
Congratulations! You've changed your 24/7 Warm Transfer to a business hours transfer. Now we'll only be transferring calls to you during business hours. All other times, we'll tell callers you aren't available.