Understanding On-Call Schedules And Rotations
In this article you will learn:
- What an On-Call system is
- Advanced vs. Basic schedules
- Standard vs. Custom schedules
- Types of On-Call Schedules
- How to add an On-Call Schedule
What is an On-Call system?
An On-Call system is commonly used in Medical, HVAC, Property Management and other service industries where urgent issues may occur at any time. Integrating your on-call schedule with your answering service ensures that you receive important information as soon as an urgent need arises.
Advanced vs. Basic Schedules
Before you create your on-call schedule, you will need to choose between a Basic or an Advanced schedule.
To help you decide which schedule will most benefit you and your current protocols, we’ve broken them both down below.
- Basic: The Basic On-Call schedule allows you to set your schedule without having to get into the nitty-gritty details. Essentially, if you have one group of staff that should be contacted during after hours and one group that should be contacted during business hours, you’ll want to stick with the Basic schedule. If you have more of a rotating system, check out the Advanced option.
- Advanced: An Advanced Schedule allows you to better customize how and when we reach out to your on-call staff. The Advanced option comes complete with a calendar where you can implement your changes and break things down by the year, month, week, day and even hour. This option is great for businesses with schedules that rotate frequently between multiple staff members and can be customized based on who is on-call and when.
Standard vs. Custom Schedules
Once you've added an on-call schedule, Standard and Custom options enable you to choose how many people the system reaches out to, how many times we reach out, and the amount of time between each attempt.
Let's take a look at both below.
- Standard: In a Standard schedule, the same person or group of people is on-call for the full 24-hour period from the Start time to the Stop time.
- Custom: In a Custom schedule, there are different people on-call during separate blocks of time within the 24-hour period.
Types of On-Call Schedules
Type denotes which On-Call schedule you are creating. The options are Reach, Warm Patch, Cold Patch, and Profile.
- Reach is limited to a maximum of 10 people, with unlimited dial-outs.
- Warm patch is limited to 2 people, with 2 dial-outs.
- Cold patch is limited to 1 person, and the call will be transferred directly.
How to add an On-Call schedule
At this point, you've set the parameters for your schedule. Now, you'll need to update the calendar. Visit the tutorials listed below for step-by-step instructions!